Wednesday, 16 November 2011
Tuesday, 15 November 2011
Monday, 14 November 2011
Saturday, 12 November 2011
Friday, 11 November 2011
To begin with we were unsure as to how the line crossed Hackwood Lane, lots is written about the station road level crossing, as a fatality unfortunately happened there. But the only reference I could find for Hackwood lane, is a small map, of the 1911 layout. In fact there is no mention of it in the official inventory. So just to confirm that in fact it was a level crossing we took a closer look.
|Foundations of railway shelter? Floor is highlighted|
|Railway embankment, in woods looking towards|
Alton, after just crossing Hackwood Lane
|Modern day embankment, the rail line would |
have gone straight through the middle.
Thursday, 10 November 2011
Wednesday, 9 November 2011
Sunday, 6 November 2011
Friday, 4 November 2011
The roof is simply cut out from photo paper. It takes hole drilling for the vent spigots very well.
This was my first attempt at scratch building an 'n' gauge model. From normal viewing distances the coach looks good. Close scrutiny however, does raise eyebrows about the window frame edges. I'm sure this can be improved on the next build but there is no doubt etched brass body sides would be best.
We have also considered punched card or milled metal for the body sides and window cutouts but the specialist tooling required may be prohibitive.
You will see from the posting below that another M7 has been obtained. This one in Southern livery. That means I will be making a second coach, this time in Maunsell olive green with leaf spring bogies for the later period of the line.
To Part 1
Thursday, 3 November 2011
"To increase variety for the model railway it would be nice to be able to run two M7s, one of each livery for the two periods."
Your wish is my command... Another troll through Ebay, and a Southern '37' 0-4-4 M7 made by Dapol, was up for auction. A few days later and I am now the proud owner. The M7 is exactly the same as the LSWR, but with different graphics. Although this was second hand, it was in pretty good condition, albeit the right vacuum pipe was missing, luckily we had a spare one to replace it with. This now gives the option of being able to run our model railway in the different periods (Pre and Post War).
...Now I just got to work out how to change the scenery at the same time.
Wednesday, 2 November 2011
Two attempts to make the under-frame. Problem was the solebars that I initially made from card but proved too flimsy. When I scoured my scrap box for ideas I found some double o code 100 flat bottom rail and surprise, surprise it virtually matched the required style and dimensions. The wide flat bottom even looks like the full length step board of the prototype.
Parts for the entire coach, except the bogies, have been hand made from materials already in my possession.
For the under-frame only the most noticeable fittings have been modeled; floor (aluminium), gas tanks (balsa), vacuum pumps (plastic sprue) , V hangers and trusses (brass sprue), buffers (hornby oo track pins) and coupling hook (copper wire), all held together with Superglue.
The final part in this series deals with the roof fabrication.