Sunday 7 December 2014

1 Plank Wagon - Part 1

There is one goods yard left on the layout that needs materials laid about but available photos just do not show clearly what they were. So I'm stuck for the moment. More vehicles and people are also needed but I'm taking a diversion from all that to make some 1 plank wagons.

There is a photo in our reference book* of a Southern G6 locomotive pulling a train of mainly one plank wagons with tarpaulin covered loads from the Thornycroft factory towards Basingstoke and it is this I would like to recreate.

I'm sure I saw a proprietary kit somewhere on the web for a 1 plank N gauge wagon (it is a rare beast, not available as a r-t-r item and kits seem sparse.) Anyway, I decided to use the Peco NR-119 9' chassis kit with scratch built body and load. Only two chassis kits were available from traders at a show we visited back in the summer. We will eventually need 3-5 for a reasonable length train.

The chassis kit has few parts and should be simple to assemble. However, it was not clear to me from the instructions if the buffer beams fit inside or outside the sole bars. Yes, I got it wrong and had to disassemble the glued parts! They fit outside the sole bars so that their ends are flush with the sole bar sides.

* The Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway by Dean et al.

David

To Part 2



2 comments:

  1. There's a P&D Marsh whitemetal kit for a one-plank wagon. It's okay, but like a lot of their older whitemetal kits, a bit basic by modern standards.

    http://www.pdmarshmodels.com/show_product.php?pid=34

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I was suprised to see it needs a Peco chassis kit as well. It will be a cheaper overall to scratch build the simple body on a Peco chassis.

      Delete