Friday 14 October 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my blog about the Basingstoke & Alton Light Railway 1901 - 1936 (no longer running - deceased), modelled in N gauge.

I'm by no means a model railway expert, but for some reason, nearing the age of 30 my childhood interest in my N gauge train set has been reignited. Partly due to my fathers interest and his 00 gauge layout based on Misterton station, and surrounding line - www.amodelrailway.co.uk, amodelrailway.blogspot.com. And a few cycle rides trying to ride some of the line.

Choosing the Basingstoke to Alton Railway to base my model on, in particular to start with Cliddesden station, started with a Cycle ride to try and ride some of it. However our first attempt to find it, without knowing exactly where it was, lead us in the wrong direction, then we tried again some weeks later but this time getting within a few meters, but never actually being on the line (long since gone). This lead me to do some research to find where the line was. I did not really know the line existed, but other people knew off it. So, I gradually started to build up knowledge, I started looking into the history, and read a book about the line my father had in his collection. This started me to think about building my own N gauge model railway.

Although I still had some N gauge trains and wagons from when I was younger, none are of the era, or L&SWR or Southern liveried, so this endeavour means starting pretty much from scratch.

I invite you to join me on my journey...

Regards,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment