Sunday 21 April 2013

Thornycroft J Class Lorry - Part 5

About 5,000 J Class lorries were built during WW1 by Thornycroft of Basingstoke (just up the line from Cliddesden). The majority configured for military use.

Here is a small batch sent down the Basingstoke & Alton line to Southampton docks via Alton and Winchester. Not a typical route for them I'm sure but my excuse is a blockage on the Basingstoke to Southampton main line!

I  first had the vision of creating this train many months ago. Anyone who has followed my postings on the J class or Lowmac will know they were scratch built.

Just to show not everything goes to plan in the world of railway modelling this load of five trucks will never run because our little Dapol M7 suffers too much wheel slip under load. A fact I did not know until I built them. The best it will do is three. Even with empty Lowmacs it struggles with five. They weigh no more than r-t-r trucks and the wheels spin freely. A lorry is only a few grammes too.

I have read the M7 might not have enough weight over the driving wheels to maintain traction. I might experiment in that area.

The J class story.

The Lowmac story.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment