Sunday 1 July 2012

N Gauge L&SWR Level Crossing Gates

This gate is based on that first installed by the L&SWR at Cliddesden. (Later, in Southern Railway days, the gate was changed to the SR style, characterised by two crossing braces whereas the L&SWR used two diagonals).

We could not find a set of L&SWR gates from the trade, even if there was one the chances are it would not fit our gap! So, it is scratch built from balsa wood. I set out with the plan to fit six bars as the prototype, but I was so focused on getting the 4 foot height correct that I forgot the sixth bar and ended up with five. After the job was done I discovered I was working to the wrong height anyway! It should be 5 foot not 4 foot. (An extra 2mm at this scale, which would need the sixth bar. Perhaps I'll remake it when I have a few hours spare.)

The gate is glued to the concrete coloured post, which is long enough to pass through the baseboard. The ink tube from a ballpoint pen is installed in the baseboard and the gate post inserted into it thus allowing the assembly to swivel open and closed by hand.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment